Hammock camping lets you comfortably sleep in the outdoors. You will be exposed to the elements, so it’s critical to choose a hammock based on its ability to withstand unexpected rains. Because of this, many campers wonder if hammocks can get wet.
Nylon, polyester, and parachute silk are materials commonly used to make camping hammocks. They have varying degrees of water resistance and dry quickly, though the manufacturer will indicate if it’s waterproof or water resistant. Cotton, canvas, rope, and woven hammocks shouldn’t get wet.
When shopping around for a hammock that you can take on adventures rain or shine, check out the useful information below.
Table of Contents
Is It Bad if My Hammock Gets Wet?
There are dozens of different hammocks out there which vary based on its material. The fabric used for a hammock is primarily what determines how it should be used and if it can get wet or not.
Hammock Fabrics That Can Get Wet
For hammock camping, using a hammock that is at least water resistant is ideal. Hammocks that are specially designed for camping usually have some level of water resistance built into the fabric.
These ensure that in the event of a sudden downpour or rain while you are sleeping, you don’t get soaked, and the fabrics dry quickly.
These are the materials commonly used in camping hammocks:
- Nylon or ripstop nylon hammocks may be water-resistant or waterproof, and they dry quickly. It’s resistant to rotting, mold, and mildew too, making it a great choice for the outdoors even if there’s a chance of rain.
- Polyester is another popular synthetic fabric used in camping hammocks. It has superior water resistance compared to nylon, which is why it is usually used in hammocks designed for the outdoors. Some polyester hammocks are coated with materials to make it completely waterproof.
- Parachute or parachute silk is a type of nylon material. It’s renowned for its excellent quick-drying properties, and may be waterproof or water-resistant, depending on how it’s made.
Hammocks that are made from any of these materials can get wet. Any of them can also be coated with material that will prevent water from seeping through, such as the use of PVC which further strengthens the fabric and enhances its waterproof or water-resistant abilities.
It’s also important to keep in mind that there is a distinction between water resistance and waterproof; if material is waterproof, this means that it is designed with a durable barrier protecting it from water. Waterproof hammocks can shelter you from storms and strong rains.
On the other hand, if the material is water-resistant, it may provide very little protection from rain. There is still a good chance you may get soaked if you use a water-resistant hammock while it rains. For even more protection and for your peace of mind, you can install a rain fly or tarp above the hammock.
However, if you are looking to wash these hammocks, it may not be ideal to submerge them in water. Be sure to check the manufacturer’s directions.
Popular Hammock Brands With Water-Resistant Hammocks
There are many high-quality hammocks out there that are water-resistant or waterproof. Here are some popular brands and models that you can find on Amazon:
- Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Hammock: This hammock is a well-loved model among outdoor enthusiasts. Made from water-resistant parachute nylon, its lightweight and ultra-compact design makes it easy to pack and go for your next adventure.
- Sunyear Camping Hammock: Made from 100% waterproof material, the Sunyear Camping Hammock is an essential for adventurers. It is designed with a unique triangle design with a tarp that also provides you with more privacy while protecting you from rain and wind.
- ENO DoubleNest Lightweight Camping Hammock: The ultimate camper’s companion, this water-resistant and quick-drying hammock is a versatile model that can be used virtually anywhere. It’s made from tough 70D high tenacity nylon taffeta which is renowned for its strength and excellent water resistance.
Hammocks That Shouldn’t Get Wet
Some hammock fabrics are meant for relaxation in or outside of your home, and shouldn’t be exposed to rain. These are:
- Natural rope
If hammocks made from these fabrics get wet, it’s important to dry them out immediately to preserve the integrity of the fabric while preventing rot, mold, and mildew.
Hammocks that are made from nylon, polyester, or any version of these materials can get wet. Just be sure to read the manufacturer’s guidelines on whether it’s waterproof or water resistant.